Tuesday, July 17, 2007

So long, India

After 5 days in the land of Incredible India it was finally time to punch out, as the world tour was on its downhill slide and a couple of days of work and relaxation awaited me in Singapore.

The first contrast between India and Singapore (besides 50% less humidity and 95% less smell) was noted when I arrived at the Singapore airport and saw that they actually used armed soldiers for security, as opposed to the bovine-type guards which India employed. Gradually, more pleasant differences were noted as I made my way to a taxi and drove to the hotel. It was hard to believe that in a short 4 hour flight I had gone from one of the filthiest countries in the world to the cleanest. Amazing. No more raiding bottles of water from the concierge to stock in my room. No more closing my eyes and mouth while taking a shower and no longer would I have to search for something to eat that wasn’t made with curry.

The morning after my arrival in Singapore I visited the front desk for a recommendation on what to see or do during the limited time I had that day. Immediately the concierge recommended that I visit either Little India or Little China.

I bet you can guess which one I chose.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you bring some chewing gum with you to Singapore? I hear its all the rave over there, they reward you with a pleasant "traditional" canning. Thought maybe you could partake in one, let me know if it is as much fun as it sounds.