Sunday, July 15, 2007

I think my oatmeal has curry in it

The most notable differences between Mumbai and Delhi are the smell and the method of airport security which Delhi chooses to ward off would-be terrorists. Seeing a bull lying lazily on guard outside of the domestic arrival terminal as we arrived at the Delhi airport actually put my mind at ease.

As with Mumbai, the ride from the airport to the hotel proved to be the paramount of excitement during my short stay in Delhi, as work seemed to get in the way of a business trip once again and I did not leave the hotel. I’m certain by this point you are remarking that I have not seen much of India since arriving 4 days prior. With this, I should note that there is nothing within walking distance of the hotels in which I had stayed so far in India. In these parts of the country one does not just simply exit the hotel lobby and take a stroll down the street to find a curios shop or a quaint place to eat during a few spare moments. Although, I guess I could have walked across the road to visit with the locals and perhaps take a tour of their homes, which consisted of used plywood attached to other pieces of whatever they could find. I noticed that the more “well to do” in the area obviously chose upgrades when building their abodes, as they used sturdy sections of corrugated sheet metal as roofs. Not surprisingly, blue tarps seemed to be all the rage with the majority of residents.

Imagine a large dump truck hauling trash, colliding with a freight train hauling everything from livestock to humans. The aftermath is what could be compared to this neighborhood, only the humans and livestock survived. Ty Pennington could show up here and set up hibachi grills. I guarantee you that when the tour bus pulled away there would be tears.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well you know what they say... "if you mess with the bull, you'll get the horns" I guess thats good engough in some areas to ward off terrorists

GgGG said...

Bullish on India hey?
Did you see any dead people yet.
Did you take a bath in the Chuckes river?